It's not easy being REEN

Life in Hollywierd

Saturday, August 05, 2006

the secrets of BISON....


Well, it's off to Texas to check out group behavior in the Bison world. Hugh owns a huge ranch here and gets me an up-close-and-personal look at these huge creatures. The most interesting thing to me is that the buffalo behind me in this picture is an old one that left the group and sometimes hangs out with the other old Bison. Kinda like the "Bison retirement community." They wader off and slow down together in their old age. Play some bingo and have some ice tea. They do this because once you are not strong enough to be in the group, you either leave, or get kicked out.

In the younger groups, the guys hang with the guys, the females hang with the females. So there are cliques even with the Bison.

Hugh let me feed them from the back of his truck, and as they all were stampeding toward me I wondered if I would become part of the feed. Then I realized that might be fair, since after lunch Hugh let me know that the delicious steak I had consumed was actually one of the herd at some point. Nice to know now- as they are stampeding towards me wondering what I did with their cousin Bob.

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buffalo steak! Yummy!

Reminds me of my first week in Morioka, when a Japanese-American friend of mine who took me to this big coop farm in the countryside and treated me to lunch -- and then told me the delicious meat dish i'd just had over rice was... horse. *blecch*

Make sure you ask what every dish is when you go to Australia, too! =)

--johnny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home