It's not easy being REEN

Life in Hollywierd

Monday, September 24, 2007



FLORENCE

Well, lets just say if I have any chance of seeing a naked italian man, I might as well start with the best one of all-----DAVID. WOW -you have to see this in person to really comprehend its magnificence.
I have a new appreciation for Michael Angelo. Not only is this a statue of perfection----but he was 26 when he did it, it took him 2 years, and he never even got paid for it. It was originally supposed to be on the top of a cathedral--but the pope changed his mind when he realized that a statue of a naked man associated with the church might not be such a good idea.
So DAVID went in front of the government building to represent Florence strength and beauty. A man in all his glory, yet the church wanted nothing to do with it.
Michael Angelo was smart----although he did not get paid for this, everyone then saw his work, and his reputation won him plenty of recognition, and PAID work from that point on.
Now as far as me in Florence, well this is my favorite town so far----cobblestone streets, cafe's and gelado everywhere- and everyone gets around on little mopeds with their cigarette sticking out of their mouth saying "chow chow"
---it is the only way to travel through the romantic alley ways. The town squares with fountains and marble statues, the old man selling his paintings, the incredible views of the city from the mountain side----the leather and jewelry stores, the red wine, the pasta......I fell in love with this city----not to mention the beauty of the italians here-
OH and I Bought this green leather coat that I can now say
"WHERE DID I GET THIS COAT? OH JUST A LITTLE TOWN IN ITALY, IN FACT THAT IS WHY I DO NOT CARRY CREDIT CARDS ANYMORE"
Now it's off to Milan, then Switzerland and then will end up in Lake Maggiore( a magical resort town on the water in Italy)--where I will be leaving the tour for a few days and be spending time with an old german friend I have not seen in YEARS!! It has been 18 years I have known him and 10 years since I have seen him!!! I am SO very glad we have still kept in touch. My x wondered why I had to keep in touch with so many people from my past---the answer is easy- because when I connect deeply with someone special--years can go by and the love still remains.....
We will sit by the lake, catch up on the last 10 years--and look into his eyes and say "I'm sorry, could you speak english?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home