It's not easy being REEN

Life in Hollywierd

Thursday, January 19, 2006

STILL STANDING in 2006


Maybe it was because I brought in this new year with a 6 course meal at the church of scientology followed by a party at total stranger's house....that this year has been wonderfully weird so far.

It started out with my first audition of the year having to wear a PAPER BAG over my head. It was for a milk commercial and the actors would have to wear a cow mask- so they wanted to see how good actors were at wearing something on their head. The sad part is that I didn't even get a call-back. Apparently I can't even get a call-back with a BAG OVER MY HEAD.

Then--I get a call to audition for a sitcom called "Still Standing." Well, I booked the show....I play a girl who tries to pick up Gina Gerts in a bar ( she was from the 80's show Square Pegs...remember?) and next thing you know I am on the set with Sally Struthers and Paul Sirvino. Today at lunch Paul Sirvino sat across from me and sang an entire opera (that he will be in this March in New York.) Not kidding. Scene by Scene. It lasted about 2 hours. I even cried in the 5th scene and got popcorn at intermission. Everyone else left the table (either he does this all the time, or nobody had the patience) . But there I was....mesmerized over my chicken and potatoes. I tried to act like it was a normal conversation as he was belting out his strongest high G. I nodded my head and tried to stay present..

I guess "then what happened???" was probably not the thing to say an hour into it.

So one week I can't get a job with a paper bag over my head; the next week I am on a national sitcom and Paul Sirvino is serenading me for 2 hours.

And last night I went to hear some acoustic music at a wine bar......and a Rick Springfield look-alike walked in and sat down to play. He then offered me guitar lessons after the show.

This year is turning out to be quite interesting. But if I ever get too excited please remind me of the paper bag.

1 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger TET (David Arandle) said...

I'm starting to feel a bit like a 'Rachel Groupie' - yes I'm hanging onto your every word, 'awsome!' ;)

I read 'for the face of animal planet' just a bit too quickly and thought that's a bit rough using your face to represent animals - are they saying you look like an animal? That's a bit harsh after the paper bag thing.

Then I re read it and went 'Oh, she means like hosting the show'. As a natural blonde I can be a bit slow. Well good luck with that. I'm not so sure about the 'exploring animals' part (I hope you'll be wearing rubber gloves!) but the 'places afar' bit sounds fun.

Good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home